Newby Hall, Ripon, North Yorkshire
Newby Hall Estate
An impressive brick-built mansion in 25 acres of formal landscaped gardens, Newby Hall was originally designed for Sir Edward Blackett by Sir Christopher Wren in 1697. Just half a century later, the house was substantially enlarged and remodelled by Robert Adam to suit the tastes of its new owner, William Weddell. A fine example of classical ‘Adam style’, the house has remained in the family since 1750s.
The Hall’s elaborate interiors are furnished with family heirlooms which include a rare set of Gobelins Tapestries, a renowned gallery of 18th-century marble statuary, and fine furniture by Thomas Chippendale.
Newby Hall & Gardens, Ripon, North Yorkshire, HG4 5AE
Visitor Information: 0845 4504068
Newby Hall in Time of War
At Newby, an exhibition focused on the impact of the two World Wars on the Hall, its owners, the Compton family, and the estate community. The exhibition drew on new archival research and material gathered as part of an outreach project in which local community groups explored their own archives and memories. A linked learning programme engaged local schoolchildren with the project themes, through artefacts and oral accounts of the period.