Fairfax House, York
York Civic Trust
A fine Georgian townhouse, Fairfax House was originally built in 1762 as a winter home for Viscount Fairfax. Its richly decorated interiors were designed by York’s most distinguished 18th-century architect, John Carr.
Converted to a cinema and dance hall during the early twentieth century, it was rescued from dereliction in the 1980s by York Civic Trust. The restored interiors are (now) beautifully complemented by Noel Terry collection of furniture, clocks, paintings and decorative arts, one of the finest private collections of its kind.
In the Name of the Rose: The Jacobite Rebellions, Symbolism and Allegiance
The Fairfax House exhibition In the Name of the Rose focused on the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715 and 1745. The exhibition explored the themes of symbolism and allegiance, highlighting how they were displayed and presented in the decorative arts and in interior decoration, both regionally and nationally.